Another Day At A Time


     Today is Sunday, the day of rest. In these times, it's not all that different from yesterday. With my MS condition, it is not unusual-of necessity-to rest a lot. Yesterday, when I woke up from an afternoon nap about 3,  I realized that I had so far eaten nothing, and had only had a mere half a glass of lemon water.
     I'm very much aware, from experiences with my own mother, that this is not uncommon with old people; we forget to eat and drink. I can remember having the "3 pea fight" with Mom - her insistence that the 3 peas in a container, with half a ham sandwich on the side, "leftovers" from lunch- was a perfectly acceptable dinner for herself. It was clear to me that this was just another indication that dementia was running the show. And yet, though I don't consider myself suffering from the same condition, since my own  hunger and thirst pangs are greatly diminished with age, the result can be scarily the same. I am just beginning to recover from the dehydration I suffered from after Hurricane Maria, and would really like to not go back to that place again.
      So.....let's take this bull by the horns. Last night I brewed a quart of peppermint tea, and put it in the fridge. I squeezed a lemon into another quart, and these 2 jars are lined up on my counter to visually remind me that they must be consumed by bedtime.
      Last night I gathered soup ingredients, as yet unprocessed- kale, garlic, onion, carrots, celery, and carrots- to set on the stove to simmer for later, I have a container of organic chicken broth, and a chicken breast that I'll cut up, to add to it after it is done. The smell of simmering soup will be a reminder that EATING IS GOOD. Forgetting to eat, not so much.
       This is different than what I usually post, but it IS health related, and let's face it, these are different times. My son in law dropped this wonderful keyboard off at my door yesterday, and I am blessed and grateful for the SPACES in my typing! Thank you, Tobin & Darrell! It is my job to keep as healthy and as isolated as possible, you know, being this at risk, elderly old bat, and if writing about hydration and food helps me do that, so be it.
         Staying isolated is NOT a hardship for me, as I have such hermit tendencies keeping me really all right. I will enjoy familial hugs when it's safe to get them, but in the meantime, I will make more squares, playing with lemons both real and yarnified, stir the soup, and make some hot tea to alternate with all this other liquid I have lined up.
         What are YOUR challenges in these days of Coronavirus?

Comments

Popular Posts