Knormal


     I found a copy of The Friday Night Knitting Club on the Used Books For Sale shelf at the library, and very much enjoyed the read, even if parts of it made me cry. A diverse group of women in NYC, based around a yarn shop- as Anne with an E says- such scope for the imagination! It isn't a murder mystery, but when there is knitting and yarn and real women's trials and tribulations, who needs murder to be entertained?
       It made my fingers twitch in a very knitty kind of way, and although I'm not a beginner, I thought that backing up from my experience as retired professional to an ordinary knit fan experience would be illuminating. It was!
     Let's start with the LYS- local yarn store. For some of us this might be a little like LCD-local crack dealer- but I'm going to at least pretend that being an old lady on a fixed income will partially take care of that.
     All I wanted to do was knit, and be somewhat entertained by the yarn as I did so- no fancy patterns or stitches, JUST PLAIN KNIT. There is a comforting, mesmerizing rhythm to garter stitching endlessly for a while, and that's what my intention was as I set off for my LYS, just 2 blocks from my door. This definitely qualifies as living dangerously! In preparation, I removed credit cards and check book from my purse, and left the mere $9, all in ones, plus change in there, the only way I know for a Yarn Freak to self-regulate. If it's not in the wallet, it can't be spent!


     Come to find out, the yarn store was having a going-out-of-business sale. Wah! I don't like that they are closing their doors, but this is typical of LYSs in America these days. Wah!Wah!Wah! I did manage to pick up their last skein of Cascade Yarns Bentley, a superwash wool/ acrylic blend for a much-less-than-expected price, just what I wanted for this just-knit project. It will make a scarf, not too big or too heavy, and use smaller needles, which will make my smaller hands happy. I already have a skein of Wool-Ease in a color that will make a perfect coordinating hat. I strongly suspect that the hat, pattern already written, will take less time than this knit every row scarf.  We'll see....


Comments

Popular Posts