It's January 1, 2020!
 Time for TMI & Transparency, Raw Beginnings and Elderly Freakouts, Loose Ends and a Digital Headache.
  When I was 9 years old, I made a decision- that I was going to, somehow, have a life that involved Making Things. I had just made a Christmas ornament, using scraps from the rag bag, in the house that we moved to, leaving the family home that I loved, to what was, for me, a suburban nightmare. Nobody in that neighborhood played with Betsy Wetsy dolls- they all had Barbies and Kens, and oh! what unspeakable things they did with them in the eyes of this Good Catholic Girl. I've been trying to cope ever since, yes, still trying at 67. Some of us are slow learners. I did, however, construct a life of making things.I was a dairy farmer and made yogurt and cheese, as well as shipping thousands of gallons of milk down the road; I had 5 children; I made them clothes and created meals from the garden; I freelanced designs for knit and crochet and cross-stitch for magazines and catalogs and yarn companies; I was the editor of a major Crochet magazine until I ended up with multiple sclerosis and watched my world fall apart. I've been making a new life ever since, sometimes successfully, and sometimes  experiencing Major Fails. I recently moved from the paradise of Puerto Rico to the much colder, but closer to family, town of Medina New York, in an attempt to persuade the nasty heat driven symptoms of my disease to leave me alone.
     I think it's about time that I did some writing...but the urge to pick up yarn and  needles or hook, or even chop vegetables will frequently take precedence over the printed word. And sometimes, well, you'll see, sometimes I just can't shut up.So, as long as I can figure out this blogging thing here- to say I am technologically challenged is a little like saying that snow is cold- if it's not obvious at this very moment, trust me, it will be- my goal will be to share what it is like to be old; disabled; a little bit crazy; and totally obsessed with, still, making things.


Comments

  1. Good to see you back. Missed your post and pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Some days are better than others, and I'm trying to channel the energy, when I have it, into posts that gather Positivity and Reality together- though those two are often at odds with each other. There IS more to Life than Sadness and Illness and Despair, even on the worst days. Writing about it all helps me remember that- Thank YOU for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts