Ch-ch-ch Changes

       I HATE feeling like a curmudgeon, but I guess at 67, I'm entitled to be somewhat set in my ways. 67?!!!!!!! How the hell did THAT happen?!


     Some of my current confusion is that it is cold and brown outside, whereas for the past couple of years I had finally gotten used to it being hot and green. My feet are not bare very much in upstate New York these days  ( slippers gratefully received in a box from Sue)


and I'm still getting used to where I've put things in my very sweet apartment. I live alone, sleep alone intentionally in a twin bed (yes, it's time to let go of the illusion of  the "choice in men"), and there are days when my communication with humans is limited to this machine. I'm OK with that, really. I suspect I was a monk or a nun in at least one previous lifetime, and I'm grateful that this incarnation has Netflix. The only drug I'm drawn to is sugar, and the consequences of bingeing on it have become not worth the trouble.  I remember an older friend from Farmington, Betty Flint, saying that eating donuts no longer had any appeal for her, because she knew how she would feel afterwards.I didn't understand then, but I do now. I think this is the root of all true Wisdom- not having the energy any longer for dealing with the consequences of one's foibles. "I'm too old for that crap" sums it up well, I think, and almost makes elderly inertia seem like a virtue.
Note to self: if all else fails, NAPS ARE GOOD!


Comments

Popular Posts